Sunday, August 5, 2007

Just a Few Days Left

On Friday afternoon I had the opportunity to do a home visit to a young boy's home whom I visited last year. I wanted to follow up with the family and see how things are going. This boy stays with his grandparents, and there are 7 children who reside with them. Most of them sleep on the concrete floor in their tiny home. I asked the grandma what their greatest needs are as a family. She said her husband works, but it's not enough money to feed them for the whole month. They usually run out of food by the end of the month. She would like to have enough money to afford to start her own business (such as selling tomotoes, popcorn, or kapenta) to help generate income for the family. Their youngest son, only 12 years old, recently had to drop out of school because they couldn't afford the monthly school fees of 10,000 kwacha (only about $2.50USD). He now goes to the water well and helps people draw water from the well to make a little bit of money for the family. Still the family is in need. Not all members have a blanket to cover them at night (and the evenings get quite cold). This is just one example of the thousands of families who survive this way in Lusaka. Imagine! I gave the grandma all that I had in my pocket (a lousy 4,000 kwacha - just over a buck). She was grateful; she said she will buy vegetables for the kids that day with the money. She wished many blessings upon me as I left. I told her I'd be back next year to visit her. My plan is to ensure that her 12-year-old son is back in school, so I'd like to pay for his school fees. I also want them all to have blankets. We'll see if I can get this done before I leave.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit my good friend, Salome's, family. I had hoped to visit her mother and siblings last year, but it didn't work out. As much as my schedule is tight, I needed to make time for the visit. Wow, was I blessed! I shed tears as I told them about the girls I was working with in my workshop; I shed more tears as her mother told me stories of her own; and I shed even more tears saying good-bye. Only a few hours with this woman, and I realized what an amazing woman she is! Now I know why Salome is so incredible! Her mother spoke some very powerful words into my life, and I will cherish them always. She calls me her daughter, so I guess that means I have 2 African mothers now. How blessed I am!

Okay, I have many more words to share but so little time. I have to log off now and get other things done. Not sure if I'll have time to blog again before I depart. I'll try. I will be arriving back to the states Thursday night. Can't wait to share all the incredible stories with so many of you in person. God bless!

1 comment:

gia said...

Laurie,

WOW!! I just found your blog....don't know why I didn't see it....I am soooo excited for you and your life changing journey....you have a huge heart and an amazing spirit...I am so grateful to have connected with you. The work you are doing is incredible and if we can help out in anyway to continue what you started please let us know. I can't wait to hear EVERYTHING in deatail when you get back...we're so excited to meet the kids in a few weeks....thanks for sharing your experience....hugs..gia