Friday, July 27, 2007

It's Friday!

Well, got some dancing in last night....unexpectedly. I planned to have dinner with my friend from UNZA and ran into the San Jose and other UNZA group who were going bowling. Turns out there was a bar and dance floor upstairs from the bowling alley. A DJ was playing and there were not many people there. So we had the whole floor to ourselves and danced for about 3 hours. Worked up a sweat....it was fun! Nothing like dancing with the same great friends here in Zambia. Tonight's another possibility for a lil dancing. We'll see.

I started the memory books with the girls yesterday. Man, I cannot even fathom the things that some of these young girls have endured, the loss they've experienced. Not just one parent dying, but both; not just both parents dead but an uncle, cousin, and brother or sister, too. I simply couldn't even imagine. I'm learning more about how death and grief is handled here in this culture. It's been great encouraging the girls to feel - to feel sadness, to feel pain, to feel loss - and know that it is okay. Some have been told by adults to "forget about it". Their artwork continues to speak a thousand words. It's really great! Can't wait to share some of it with all of you.

Well, I'm off again. I'll be continuing with the memory books with the girls today and will be cooking dinner for my group this evening....spaghetti with some veggies and lots of garlic, as well as some garlic bread. I finish up my workshop tomorrow with Group 2 girls and will then be visiting my friend, Barbara's, family again this weekend. They're always such a joy! Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

No comments: