Thursday, July 19, 2007

I've Arrived to Zambia!

Well, folks, I'm in Zambia, and I couldn't be happier! It has been so great to see the same children and staff at Kondwa. All look healthy, and they are SO well-behaved. I'm really impressed! Things have changed a bit for the better at Kondwa. I was able to visit the site for the building of the primary school. They are just waiting on funds to arrive before building any classrooms. I think I may have to put some of my fundraising skills to use when I return.

So the many flights went well, despite the fact I had swollen legs and ankles for a few days. All that time up in the air really wears on the body. I flew from Minneapolis to Chicago last Saturday and into London Sunday morning. While in London, I had a 12-hour layover, which wasn't so bad. I was able to take the tube into the city and met a friend at one of the stations for a bit. He was a gentleman and accompanied me back on the hour ride back to the airport later that evening. Then I was off to Nairobi and finally Lusaka. I heard my nickname, "Red", being shouted at the London airport - it was Sandra, a girl from the San Jose State group that was on last year's trip. I ended up being on the same flights as the San Jose State group. It was great catching up with them. I arrived Monday morning to Lusaka. I was kindly greeted by my friend, Barbara's, brother and his 2 friends. They were holding a sign with my name. They helped me with my luggage, brought me to the grocery store, and accompanied me to my guest house. Barbara is a friend from Minnesota who just so happens to be from Lusaka. So it's been a pleasure meeting her family. They've been so great! They lended me a cell phone, and check in on me to see that all is okay. I plan to spend the weekend with them.

My group (6 other women from Arizona, Idaho, and Canada) are WONDERFUL! What a fabulous group! They are really great. Our accomodations are just fine, too....even a warm shower! We eat breakfast and lunch with the kids at Kondwa - porridge for breakfast and nshima for lunch. We have a kitchen to use at the guesthouse, so we take turns cooking in the evenings for the rest of the group. It's been really nice. My group will be taking off to Livingstone / Victoria Falls this weekend, but I'll be staying behind to catch up with friends and spend more time at Kondwa. Some students from the University of Zambia will be doing an activity (soccer, etc.) with the kids at Kondwa on Saturday, so I will be sure to be there for that. I'd like to spend as much time as possible with Barbara's family, too.

Next week I will be working with 2 groups of girls ages 9 to 11 in the Ng'ombe community. I will be doing various art activities with them, as well as additional activities that help the girls to deal with anger, grief, loss, etc. I will be doing afternoon sessions with them Monday thru Friday and additionally on a Saturday. A couple members of my group also have a counseling workshop planned for 37 teachers from the area community schools. I will assist them for 3 days in teaching the teachers various interventions that can be utilized in the classroom. I STILL HAVE MONEY TO RAISE! If you are able to assist in purchasing additional supplies that I need for activities, please donate on my website.

Although the culture tends to be more laid-back and slower-paced here, I feel there is not enough time to accomplish all that I'd like. So many people I want to spend one-on-one time with. I was able to do that with a few students from the University of Zambia (UNZA) but have many more to visit with. I think they are all planning a get-together on Saturday. Can't wait to go out dancing again!

I'm already looking forward to next year! I really hope some friends will join me next summer....Nicole, Kanika, and Zakiya?? I keep thinking of you ladies! You'd really enjoy being here, and I think you each have wonderful gifts that would contribute to the children and community here.

Thanks so all who've supported me in getting here! MANY MANY THANKS!!!! I've not been able to quit smiling - just thinking that, "here I am again". It's great! Hope to hear from you all soon. Please leave comments. Have a great week!

6 comments:

Vanessa Hanley said...

It is so wonderful to hear that everything is going great. I love to read your blog as you are an inspiration to follow your dreams. I love to read how things are going and thank you for taking the time to write in such detail. What supplies do you need and how much are they?
Love,
Vanessa

Elayna said...

Hey Laurie! It's great to hear that things are going well. It's always so fun to read about what you are doing over there. = ) Have a great time dancing this weekend -- talk to you later.
God Bless -
Elayna

kelly said...

hey big sis! I'm glad that you're there again:) and you've been able to see alfred!!! and all the other kids as well. I hope you have time to keep up on your blog, I look forward to reading them. When you visit Barbara's family, tell them hello for me!! Will you also give as many hugs out as you can for me. I can't wait to hear how your different ideas will help the kids. Someday I will be there with you taking hundreds of picture:) Looking forward to hear how you DROP it at the clubs;)
Love ya,
Kelly

Laurie Holland said...

Reply to Kelly -

Yes, that would be great to have you here some day! Crazy thing is - I could honestly see myself living here, even if just for a short time. Who knows what the future holds?

Yeah, I'll be sure to "drop" it....just not ATL style...lol. Love ya!

Laurie Kay

Laurie Holland said...

Reply to Vanessa -

Thanks for all of your wonderful support, Vanessa! The supplies I still have to purchase are materials necessary for memory books, some notecards, folders, stickers, tissue paper, and a few other things. Won't cost much....probably under $50. I'd also like to purchase some more supplies for the school, though, as well.

Hope you're having a great summer! Wait 'til you see video clips from our road trip! Hilarious! I'll have them ready for you when I return. Can't wait to catch up. Oh, and it's been really great having the camcorder. Thanks so much!

Laurie Kay

lovemagnet said...

Hi roomie,
Nice to know that all is well in your world. I've been thinking of you. Life sounds fantastic there and what a gift to be there. I would love to go!
I am trying to get signed up for school. I just went into the city to get my visa for Brasil. I am looking forward to being there and kickin' it with my friend and seeing her world.
Logan says, "meow". I have been in Santa Cruz a lot. I love it there too much. I just got back from a beach party last night. It was right on the sand with a live band, lots of dancing and great folks. I had a blast...it seemed like such a summer thing to do.
I got a new mountain bike and it is fun, fun, fun.
Miss you girl. Keep up the great work and congradulation on your 6 month scholarship....crazy....
xoxoox, Nicole